Why should you check contractors? And what should you check for?
What do you really know about a company before you hire them? As a consumer, it is up to us to do our homework and check out companies we are thinking about doing business with. If you want to have the best possible service experience, it behooves you to learn as much about a company as you can, preferably, before you hire them. Fortunately, in today’s world, it usually isn’t difficult to find information about a company you are considering working with.
Why is this important? For the most part, most contractors and home service providers are honest, fair, experienced and professional. However, some are not. Unfortunately, the ones that are not are not always easy to detect. It requires knowing what to look for and knowing how to protect yourself as a homeowner.
To start you off, The Service Guide has ensured that all businesses we list are properly licensed and insured. This is important for both their protection and yours. We keep all copies of required licenses and insurances on file for every company we list. Although licenses and insurances have been verified, it is important to keep in mind that these credentials, alone, are in no way total indicators of a company´s quality or business practices. As a consumer, you should check a little deeper.
Second, in all our Company Profiles, you will be able to see other pertinent information about every company listed on our service. We have included information about companies’ experience, longevity, services provided, etc., the types of information we know is important for you to know:
1. Company’s longevity – how long has company been in
2. License #’s where required – you can investigate further
to discover if the company has any enforcement actions
against them with this number
3. Insurance Verification
4. Complete list of services provided
5. Summary paragraph about company
6. Link to company’s Complaint History with the Better
Business Bureau - checking their track record is
7. Company’s service coverage area
8. Whether company accepts credit cards; which ones?
9. Does company provide Free Estimates?
10. Does company provide Emergency Services?
11. Whether company is family owned / operated
12. Indication of company size… large, medium, small
13. Hours of operation
14. Website and email links where applicable
15 Any memberships or associations company belongs to
16. Company’s logo for identification
17. Photos or pictures to help with further product or brand
18. Whether company honors The Service Guide’s Savings
19. Whether the company offers their own coupon
20. And more…
Third, in addition to general company information, smart consumers also consider Customer Reviews in the mix when deciding which contractors to contact. The Service Guide provides Ratings and Reviews for the businesses we list. Members of The Service Guide have access to candid Ratings and Reviews on local plumbers, electricians, handymen, painters, remodelers and more 24 / 7.
Fourth, as a homeowner, using a resource where you can find everything in one place is smart! We encourage and invite you to try our service for your next home improvement or repair. We guarantee the information you will find will be helpful to you in making the best hiring decisions for you. We also guarantee that if you also use our coupons, you will save money at the same time. See our Membership Value Guarantee.